Scanning and Photogrammetry
- Due to the high level of accuracy, speed and as well as high-quality results, 3D Scanning has a wide range of applications for design, prototyping, inspection, simulations, visualisations and 3d printing. Industries that use 3d Scanning are exceptionally versatile and range from Aerospace and Automotive, through Product development, Arts, Medical and Forensic Archaeology among others.
- 3D Scanning is a rapid and precise process of creating digital 3D models from real-world physical objects. This process can be used on virtually any object or area to capture the physical dimensions, shape and texture accurately and transform it into a digital three-dimensional object.
- With the ever-growing customer demand for photorealist 3D models, top companies around the world are moving alway from the traditional photography based presentations and are ebracing 3D scanning and photogrammetry. 3D presentations and turntables are much more engaging for the customer and with new developments, like Augmented and Virtual Reality people can now engage with the product and imagine using it.
Scanning - Capturing the surface of the object with millimetre accuracy as a dense point cloud resulting in a high polycount 3d mesh. With our custom rig and workflow we manage to capture even minute detail along the surface of the asset. Many obejcts are difficult to scan because of their shape, size or material but we have found solutions for each of those cases. The secret to scanning difficult objects is in the control of the conditions during the process.
Clean up - Once the scan is completed and the calculations are done we end up with the high resolution 3D model. However, no scan is ever perfect at this stage, this is why every 3D asset goes through cleaning. That is to say we smooth out the surface by removing unnecessary noise but preserving the high-quality details to get the object in print ready format. This process can take anything from an hour to a day of work, depending on the complexity of the object and the level of detail needed.
Detail Еnhancement - An artist will hand sculpt additional detail to enhance the features of the scan and improve on it based on your requirements. This is a process that requires expertise and a sharp eye for detail. The features of the model are complimented while micro detail is fixed and added. Depending on the complexity of the asset, there may be areas that either cannot be scanned properly or the surface contains hair, fur or dust. In such cases these areas are carefully resculpted once the dense scan is calculated.
Photogrammetry - Capturing the texture of the surface with ultra-high accuracy and appling it to the high density mesh. We have experience in taking detailed photos of different types of assets in a controled environment. Our setup consists of two lightboxes with custom ligh, an automated, portable custom rig with several cameras as well as an outdoor photography setup. Thanks to all that we can handle big batches of object in various sizes and shapes. For landscape photogrammetry and using drone setups for airial photography, contact us and find out more.
Retopology - At this stage of the process we have the dense high polygonal mesh, clean and/or resculpted with a great texture, but an unusable UV mapping. So what we do here is to recrete the geometry of the 3D asset, making an entire new mesh that is much less dense and easier to use. All the surface detail and texture information is then baked into the new geometry, using different maps within the metallic roughness PBR workflow. The retopology step is extremely important in order to make the scanned model usable within projects and animations. The final geometry can even be decimated down to Low Poly or a Game Ready version of the original 3D asset, saving the texture quality and detail.
PBR Textures and Materials - Our team of visual 3D artists use the retopologized mesh with the newly exported textures and create PBR materials that are compatible between softwares and are perfect for any Production Renderer or Game engine. As already mentioned we use the metallic roughness workflow when creating the materials of all of our scanned content.
Why Tornado Studios?
We are a leading company in 3D scanning and Photogrammetry in Bulgaria. With our extensive experience, we offer a wide range of services using technologies like 3D scanning, Macro, Areal and Video Photogrammetry with which we can capture any objects such as small items, large buildings, aerial scenes, shiny and transparent objects. We take customer projects to heart, and our goal is always to give you the best product that will fit your project and will nurture its success.
The quotes are custom, based on your project needs, quality level, timeframe and volume. The bigger your project is, the smaller the price per scan. Whether you are a company with a lot of products or an individual with a personal project, we can offer you a quote based pricing to match your expectations. As a team of artists, we are capable of producing multiple scans at once and offer you speed and high quality on all of your assets. Above you saw the steps/services needed for the production of a photorealistic 3D model. Depending on your needs the production method may include all or some of these stages.
Additional services and how they change the price?
If you are looking to get your scan into game engine or a production renderer and create stunning images or animation, we can offer you full support on that too. Our artist team have more than 15 years of experience in the creation of high-quality digital 3D assets, and in addition to scanning we offer the following services:
- Lighting - Creating a scene with lights individually calibrated to enhance your product in shape and texture.
- Animation - Creating movement for your object, whether it is a mechanical part that rotates or a statue that comes to life.
- Simulations - Are you imagining your product in Flames, Snow, Rain or Explosions? We can simulate almost any physical phenomenon and make your ideas come to life.
- Rendering - Once the scene is ready and you want to get your product onto images or video, here comes the Rendering. We offer Rendering services with our rendering farm partners, that can take on any sized project.
- Post-production - After the rendering, we can work on those files and enhance the quality of your product by colour correction, labels and voice adding. Preparation for printing - If your end product is a regular or 3D print, we will prepare your files in the right way so you will have smooth and painless prints with the right colours and quality.